AR is used by Veritas in order to instill in the hearts and minds of our students the habit but also the love of reading. Students may read any book that interests them as long as it is at their grade level or one grade below.
The AR Book Finder link below gives you the level and points of any book that students may take an AR test on.
- 1st Grade: 2 points (0.5 level and above)
- 2nd Grade: 4 points (1.5 level and above)
- 3rd Grade: 6 points (2.5 level and above)
- 4th Grade: 8 Points (3.5 level and above)
- All tests can only be taken once.
- All AR tests must be taken at school.
- The computer keeps track of tests taken by a student over the years and will not allow a student to take the same test twice.
- Watching the movie instead of reading the book will not help you pass the test!
- Students earn points based on how well they do on an AR Test, i.e., if a student is required to get 6 points and reads a 6 point book, but does not get all questions on the test correct, they will not get all 6 points. They will have to read another book and take another test to finish getting their required points.
Middle School AR Guidelines
- 5th Grade: 4.5 and above
- 6th Grade: 5.5 and above
- 7th Grade: 6.0 and above
- 8th Grade: 7.0 and above
Rationale: Research shows that reading ability is a key factor in academic success. With Accelerated Reader, students earn points based on the number of pages they read and their comprehension of those pages. Everyone who reads an average of 20-30 minutes per day, or 2-3 hours per weekend, can earn 10 points in a quarter.
Point Requirements: Students in grades 5-8 must earn 10 AR points per quarter. Points Possible x % of Questions Correct = Points Earned. (i.e. 6.0 pts. x 60% correct = 3.6 pts.) The AR system does not give credit for scores below a 60%. Points earned beyond the required 10 will carry over to the next quarter.
Point deadlines: Summer reading counts toward first quarter, and so on. Points are due by the last Monday of each quarter. Total points x 10 = Test Grade (i.e. 8.6 points x 10 = an 86%). Tests taken after the grace period deadline will count toward the following quarter.
Level Requirements: AR reading levels are based on vocabulary and sentence complexity. To help students grow, we ask them to select books that are one grade level and up. Use arbookfind.com to check the availability and reading level of any book.What if my book is not an AR book, or is a lower reading level?
RENAISSANCE HOME CONNECT PROGRAM
This program allows you to log in and view your child's progress in Accelerated Reader and Accelerated Math. The Home Connect link below requires username and password to login to your child's account. Username and password will be provided to you by your child's homeroom teacher for grades 1 through 4 and to the middle school students for grades 5 through 8. While you and your child can view reading progress from home, your child will only be able to take quizzes on campus. For more detailed information on the program you may visit the Renaissance Learning website by following the link below . When you select "Accelerated Reader" from this web page, you will see useful links such as parent guides for AR BookFinder and Renaissance Home Connect.(download some of those documents on the right). The Renaissance Home Connect program can be accessed from a web browser on any computer, tablet, phone, or other device that has Internet access.